Friday, June 25, 2010

Blueberry coffee cake

I've been eating cottage cheese with canned diced peaches for breakfast as much as possible. I know, shockingly healthy. But I love it, and I look forward to it every day. The problem is that it always leaves me a little bit unsatisfied and hungry again at approximately 10:15.

In an effort to fill the void, I tried Ellie Krieger's much healthier version of a blueberry coffee cake. She uses a little butter (2 Tbsp) and the same amount of canola oil instead of sticks and sticks of butter and yogurt instead of sour cream. She also swaps out half of the white flour for whole wheat flour.

I had pretty high expectations of this coffee cake since all the reviews said it was amazing and since Ellie grinned so much in the video (I haven't gotten over how annoying that grin can be. she's so....happy all the time!). And it did not disappoint. It was so good! I cut it into 16 pieces like she recommended, and one little square really does fill by breakfast void. Plus, even on day 3 (today), it is still moist. I'm not really sure how that happens without all of the fat/oil...but it happened.

Oh! And Mark, who complains when I put whole wheat flour in anything, though it tasted great and not "healthy." :) Bonus!

I highly recommend this coffee cake. It's part of a healthy breakfast that you can look forward to. Ellie comes through again!

P.S. After day 3 I froze the rest of the coffee cake in individually wrapped squares. I've been eating them out of the freezer ever since. I just thaw them for 20 sec in the microwave after I get to work. They defrost very nicely.

No comments: