Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ice cream update

So I tried the ice cream, and I'm back to give you the update.



Sweetened condensed milk does make fantastic ice cream, but not the way I posted previously. If you use the previous recipe, which includes only 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup whipping cream, and 1 tsp vanilla, your ice cream will be incredibly rich and creamy....and way too sweet for us. After having tried that recipe for vanilla and mint chocolate chip with andies mints, I did a little more research. I discovered that most online recipes recommend something closer to a 3-1 or 4-1 ratio of whipping cream/milk to sweetened condensed milk. Unfortuately, the increased whipping cream/milk requires an ice cream maker, so I went down to the basement and dug mine out.

I have now made ice cream twice with this new ratio in mind. I use a 4 cup pyrex bowl, start with the sweetened condensed milk, and then add my other ingredients...whatever whipping cream I have on hand topped off with milk or, as was the case last night, pureed stawberries. Adding 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of salt also keeps the ice cream from freezing into a solid block.

It's still a super-easy process that doesn't require cooking or eggs. But, alas, you'll have to invest in an ice cream maker to give it a try......

And I highly recommend giving it a try.

No comments: